It is currently 2018 12 16, 12:32

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Halloween
PostPosted: 2007 10 29, 19:58 

I was just wondering, is the tradition of halloween celebrated in lithuania the same as in uk as in kids dressing up and going out "trick or treating" :twisted:

How can I say "Happy Halloween" in lithuanian? :lol:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 10 30, 00:10 
Site Admin

We never had it originally, but it's being "forced" upon us nowadays probably due to American cultural export ;).

A similar celebration that we have is called "Užgavėnės" and it takes place sometime in the end of winter (forgot the exact date :oops:). The main accent of this celebration is burning a large doll while shouting "Žiema, žiema, bėk iš kiemo" (Winter, winter, run away!:D).

I never seen anyone saying Happy halloween here, but the kids sometime say "Apgauk arba pavaišink" ("Trick or treat") in Užgavėnės (!).

happy halloween - gero helovino! linksmo helovino!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 10 30, 09:19 

Hello to all,

http://wilstar.com/holidays/hallown.htm
i found this site interesting and it is useful to know what is the real meaning of All Hallows Eve.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 10 30, 12:35 

oh how interesting :wink: The lithuanians in Ireland seem to enjoy celebrating halloween but if you ask me thats only because its another excuse to have a party :lol: My little boys will be dressing up as little devils this year cute cute :twisted: :twisted:
Its really only for the kids they love it!!
Laimis you would make a great "frankenstein" :wink:
Orinta what can I say I think the "Little Devil" is best for you too :lol:
labai ačiū :) gero helovina (=helovino) visiems :twisted:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 10 30, 19:46 

Gero helovinO

Linkėti kam ko.
Linkiu jums gero halovino
gero halovino.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 10 31, 17:06 

Just out of interest do all lithuanians today if I have the correct date :roll: visit their loved ones who have passed away :( in the graveyard and light candles to remember them? how nice :) We dont have anything like that here :?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 11 01, 18:58 

Yes, we do. Today and tomorrow. It is really nice - it is festival for souls and candle light warming up because these days are cold and windy.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 11 02, 03:02 

Yes, it's quite a special sight, especially at night time. This day last year I left lithuania for poland hitchhiking. In the night time I saw a few graveyards along the way that were all lit up from candles. I think in poland as well they did this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2010 10 12, 12:45 

Pigmalijonas wrote:
We never had it originally, but it's being "forced" upon us nowadays probably due to American cultural export ;).

A similar celebration that we have is called "Užgavėnės" and it takes place sometime in the end of winter (forgot the exact date :oops:). The main accent of this celebration is burning a large doll while shouting "Žiema, žiema, bėk iš kiemo" (Winter, winter, run away!:D).

I never seen anyone saying Happy halloween here, but the kids sometime say "Apgauk arba pavaišink" ("Trick or treat") in Užgavėnės (!).

happy halloween - gero helovino! linksmo helovino!

Palomita wrote:
Yes, we do. Today and tomorrow. It is really nice - it is festival for souls and candle light warming up because these days are cold and windy.

I think Palomita has the more worldwide interpretation of Halloween aside from the American tradition. The Catholic "All Saints Day" on November 1 follows Halloween that is celebrated in the United States on October 31. "All Souls Day" then comes on November 2 in memory of the faithful departed.
Tim Minor, as associated by marriage with Džana Minor (a former Lithuanian national).

Offline Profile