It is currently 2018 09 26, 08:54

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Anyone still here?
PostPosted: 2013 10 11, 20:17 

The site is years old and I honestly have no idea if any activity is supposed to be happening here. I imagine why there would be little to no interest in learning Lithuanian, but I'm asking anyone reading this to respond, just in case.

Also allow me to introduce myself. I'm ASBusinessMagnet, I translate the webcomic Homestuck to Lithuanian (original, translation), and I'm trying to keep an eye on Lithuanian learners all over the Internet, with very little luck as I got in contact with only one person from Australia. Ai, ir aš galiu pranešimus rašyti lietuviškai, tačiau rašau angliškai iš įpratimo ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Anyone still here?
PostPosted: 2013 10 15, 05:08 

I have no idea why there are no longer any Lithuanian learners around here. This used to be a rather active forum. I myself have learnt Lithuanian online, and afterwards went to VU for 10 months. That makes me your second person.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 10 23, 20:40 

Nuostabu ;)

Anyway, I have a bit of news; recently Duolingo announced that they are allowing users to make their own courses for learning languages, and I applied to make a course of English for Lithuanian speakers. I don't know how useful it, if it came to reality, would be for learning Lithuanian, but it would still be something at least to promote Lithuanian as a language, so I will try and keep you updated as I get more news ;)

In the meantime, I hope that we both can at least try to revitalize this forum! :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 10 25, 15:11 

That would be awesome

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 10 28, 02:03 

Yes. Yes, it would.

Unfortunately, that means we have to discuss something, and right now, as I am seeing, the forum is designed to help those still struggling to learn Lithuanian, and both of us have no trouble with that, which means we have to invent another topic of discussion, and I can think no better than my translation project.

So, if we decide to talk on this topic, I want to say one thing: I have no professional translating experience. I am learning many things through trial and error, and in part through reading about translation in general and trying to apply it to my work. My only real strength is that I've been going on for a year and a half, and am highly accustomed to the minutiae of translating between Lithuanian and English, when before taking on the project I was only fluent in Lithuanian and English, without ever thinking how precisely the two languages are related.

Ugh, anyway. If you have any better ideas on discussion, I'm totally game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 11 05, 21:11 

Hey I just found this site and was wondering if anyone is still even on here. Also I will be keeping an eye on your translation project as I am having a hard time finding things in Lithuanian I want to read.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 11 11, 09:58 

Hello! I'm happy I can find some other learners of this language :) I've been in Lithuania in August and I remained fascinated by the language, overall because is the "least untouched in europe" :D
I'm following the lessons on the website and I find them very well done :) congrats!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 11 12, 19:18 

I didn't know that commic (not sure if there's a better way to call it). I've read a couple of 'pages' now. It looks interesting. Why did you decide to translate it?

ziggaboogi wrote:
Hey I just found this site and was wondering if anyone is still even on here. Also I will be keeping an eye on your translation project as I am having a hard time finding things in Lithuanian I want to read.

We are here. At least I am. We just lack learners.

meerkat wrote:
Hello! I'm happy I can find some other learners of this language :) I've been in Lithuania in August and I remained fascinated by the language, overall because is the "least untouched in europe" :D
I'm following the lessons on the website and I find them very well done :) congrats!

Welcome!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 11 24, 21:13 

asCii wrote:
I didn't know that commic (not sure if there's a better way to call it). I've read a couple of 'pages' now. It looks interesting. Why did you decide to translate it?

I tend to call it a webcomic. (In Lithuanian it would be internetinis komiksas, but I need to think of a better name because that is quite a mouthful)

...Wait a minute, didn't I write "the webcomic Homestuck" in the first post?

Whatever.

Basically, the best way to put it is that I have been a fan of the webcomic for several years. I found it through 99% pure accident and loved how Andrew Hussie manages to realistically portray 90s kids and how they interact with each other, as well as the complicated time travel plotline.

(Also, one important thing that I completely forgot to note: yes, in the original English version the kids are 13 and in my translation they are 16. It's completely intentional on my part; I started my translation precisely three years after the original, and I also find the kids too intelligent to be 13 ;) )

asCii wrote:
other things

Wonderful! There are other learners of Lithuanian! (As well as other potential fans of Homestuck) I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 11 25, 17:50 

ASBusinessMagnet wrote:
...Wait a minute, didn't I write "the webcomic Homestuck" in the first post?

Whatever.

Sorry, my bad.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 11 27, 08:28 

well if anyone else knows interesting things to try to read or watch in Lithuanian let me know. For now all I have is a Harry Potter book I'll be able to read in approximately one to two years.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 11 29, 20:13 

I took a whole bunch of photos of a children's book that I once used to own, in case Homestuck/Harry Potter is too difficult for you.

http://www.xn--portal-4-asis-tkstantmetis-zgf.lt/what_is_snow_like/

EDIT: Also these videos, subtitled both in English and Lithuanian and advertising the Lithuanian mineral water Vytautas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa0pcD1NXTQ&list=PLEAFA9E5C9F1E76EC

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: 2013 12 14, 05:59 

Thanks I'll check it out once I get the cases down more.

Offline Profile