It is currently 2017 12 11, 15:35

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 01 11, 00:44 

Hello Everyone! I am new here. My great-grandparents are from Lithuania. So I have been wanting to study Lithuanian for a while. This looks like a great place to learn. Hopefully someday I'll get to visit too.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: newbie
PostPosted: 2007 01 19, 13:06 

labas
mano vardas John
i want to learn lithuanian because i have 2 friends and i would like to talk to them in their native tongue. i have always wanted to learn another language and this would be one i could put to practical use. i was told about this site from someone on phrasebase. any help on learning would be great. IKI.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Labas!
PostPosted: 2007 01 23, 06:10 

Ka (=Kas) gero?

I'm new to the Lithuanian language and I'm just learning it for fun with the help of a friend. I just started learning the language so I should be on these forums a lot trying to figure out grammar etc., I keep my progress/lithuanian lessons logged on my blog if anyone is interested! Anyways good luck with everyone learning Lithuanian and wish me luck, because this is one hell of a language.

Iki.

Mokinyster!
________
Dc medical marijuana dispensary

Last edited by mokinyster on 2011 03 13, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 01 29, 14:56 

Labas,

mano vardas Thomas, aš esu iš Vokietijos. Aš gyvenu Miunsteryje, ir aš esu studentas. Aš pradėjau studijuoti lietuvių kalbą spalyje (-spalį). Aš myliu Lietuvą ir lietuvių kalbą ;-)

Iki,
Tomukas

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 02, 13:07 

Labas :)

Mano vardas Brett ( Bretas lietuviškai ). Aš esu australas ir gyvenu Melbourne'e (-Melburne). Mano seneliai lietuviai, taigi esu 50% lietuvis, bet 100% australas! Mano seneles (=senelės) brolis su šeima gyvena Kaune. Aš neseniai keliavau Lietuvoje: Kaune, Vilniuje, Klaipedoje (=Klaipėdoje), ir kitose lietuvos vietose įskaitant kaimelyse (=kaimeliuose) ir ežeruose! ( žiūrok (=žiūrėk) mano avataras (=avatarą)! )

Hello :)

My name is Brett ( Bretas in Lithuanian ). I am Australian and live in Melbourne. My grandparents are Lithuanian, and so I am 50% Lithuanian but 100% Australian! My grandfather's brother and his family live in Kaunas. I recently travelled in Lithuania: Kaunas, Vilnius, Klaipeda, and other Lithuanian places including small villages and lakes! ( look at my avatar! ).

I've just started learning and know very little. This site has been a great help so far. This took for ever to write, but the learning curve is good. I love the ability to get corrections :D

ačiū
thanks

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Labas visiems!
PostPosted: 2007 02 12, 21:08 

Labas visiems!

Aš esu Tomas, iš Vengrijos.
Man 22 metai.
Studijuoju anglų kalbą ir literatūrą Budapešto Universitete.

Aš taip pat studijuoju lietuvių kalbą.
Kiekvieną dieną padarau daug gramatikos pratimų;)

Okay, yes, that's me.
I study English language and literature, but I'm also majoring in American studies. And I have to tell you that I'm just fascinated about the latter one;)

It was totally by accident that I started to learn Lithuanian, but I got so enthusiastic about it that now I won't stop until I master it to the level of proficiency;)

I mean it;)

I love the language, I love the country (although I haven't been there), etc.

Yeah, with a bit of luck, I might spend a month in Lithuania in the summer.

Can't wait.

All the best,

Tomas.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 26, 02:38 

Sveiki!

Mano vardas Lesli. Aš esu amerikietė, bet gyvena (=gyvenu) Danijoje. Man 31 metai.

Ok, that's about as far as I can get in Lithuanian. Anyway, the reason I have become interested in this language is that I met a new friend who is Lithuanian and through him became quite interested. I began to read about Lithuania and the language and became quite fascinated. It seems so complex with all of the different word endings and so on. I don't know that I'll ever be able to learn it, but I'm going to give it a try. I found this site by accident. I started out on the LLL website, which was great for getting started, but after awhile I got frustrated by the lack of grammatical explanations.

A little more about me. I am married to a Dane and have been living in Dk for 8½ yrs. So if anyone would like to learn some danish, feel free to ask. I am a nursing student and will graduate this June!! Hurray!! No children, just a dog, that I treat like a baby.

I've really enjoyed browsing around the site and reading all of your posts.

Iki kito karto!! Lesli

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 26, 13:57 

Hi everyone,

my name is Dara and I live in Ireland. My name looks like a girl's name in Lithuanian, but I'm male! I've been studying Lithuanian for one and a half years. My friend Aušra lived in Ireland until six months ago, and she is a very good teacher. Now she lives in Lithuania and she sends me lessons by e-mail. My wife and I have visited Lithuania 3 times.

I am particularly interested in the grammar and structural features of the language. I would very much like to be able to communicate in Lithuanian and understand the spoken language, but I still find it difficult. I am delighted to find this website!

Sveiki,

mano vardas Dara, gyvenu Airijoje. Lietuviams mano vardas atrodo moteriškas, bet aš esu vyras! Aš mokausi lietuvių kalbą per pusantro metų (=lietuvių kalbą pusantrų metų; lietuvių kalbos pusantrų metų) . Mano draugė ir bendradarbė Aušra gyveno Airijoje iki prieš 6 menesis (=iki tol, kol prieš šešis mėnesius išvyko). (Ji) Yra puiki mokytoja. Dabar gyvena Panevėžyje ir man padeda su pagalba e-mail (=padeda elektroniniais laiškais). Aš buvau 3 kartus su savo žmona Lietuvoje.

Man tačiau idomu (=Tačiau man įdomu) kalbos gramatika. Aš labai norėčiau galėti bendrauti lietuviskai (=lietuviškai) ir suprasti, ką man sako, bet man vis dar sunku. Aš džiaugiuosi rasti (=radęs; kad radau) šį tinklapį (-tinklalapį)!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 27, 03:15 

Opppss i've posted this in a wrong forum so here we go again and sorry for my previous mistake :)

Labas :) how is everyone doing?

I'm actually very interested in Lithuania and i'm here to hopefully learn more things about it and the language

I just love learning languages and Lithuanian is certainly one of those which are on my list :)

Take care and see u around.

Curdo.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 02 27, 17:46 

Labas! Mano vardas yra Caroline.
I'm 17 years old and a junior in highschool in Tennessee, and I am in no way Lithuanian.

My interest in Lithuanian began when I got this insane idea to start writing a screenplay of Upton Sinclair's The Jungle. However, I have ADHD, so that didn't last very long (not to mention it was nigh impossible to begin with because of how the novel is structured), yet my desire to learn the language has, amazingly, stuck around long enough for me to bother to join this forum, haha, so hopefully it'll last long enough that I might actually accomplish something. I think it's such a beautiful, unique language.
I intend to go to an art college when I graduate, so I'm not sure how much use I'll get out of it, but, hey, it'll be good for me. What's wrong with a little extra knowledge.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Lessons anyone?
PostPosted: 2007 03 04, 21:45 

Hi,

I will be starting a new job at the American school in Vilnius this September. I've spent the last few years in Warsaw, and learned a little Polish. Now I will need to learn a little Lithuanian. If anyone is interested in helping, I would be happy to offer English lessons in exchange. Email me if you'd like to work something out: griggs@aster.pl.

Best,

Matthew

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Labas!
PostPosted: 2007 03 15, 00:21 

Hi, folks! My name is Wagner, I'm from Brazil and I live in Sao Paulo. I'm interest in learning a little bit of Lithuanian language. The language is very rich and interesting, in my opinion.

My grandmother (now with 84 years-old) was born in Kaunas. My great-grandparents were born in Kaunas too. She went to Brazil when she was almost 4 years old, in 1926. Until 1962 she used to communicate in Lithuanian with her mother (my great-grandmother).

Forty-five years late, it seems that she completely forgot her original language. Now I'm learning few words and expressions, and helping my grandmother to remember some Lithuanian vocabulary.

Thanks a lot,

WAGNER.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 03 17, 18:23 

Hi, I'm Whisper, well "Whisper", (just call me that :wink: .)
I really enjoy studying languages...which led me to lithuanian and a couple other languages.

So...
Nice to meet all of you

Update 8/07:

I just realized looking back at this how little I said about myself, and it made me smile. At this point I'll just say you can call me Christine or a nickname from my screen name. My hobbies are art/crafting, music, studying different languages (however you can only do so much at one time), and writing. I've currently been working on human portraits in my artwork, and listening to different music from all over the world (India, Greece, France, Turkey) as well as practicing the piano and guitar. I investigated the lithuanian language because of a good friend I have, and it soon after enchanted me. Which leads me here. Nice to meet you all :)

Last edited by whisperedlullaby on 2007 09 02, 18:09, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 03 29, 11:41 

Labas.. mano vardas Styvas(Steve), aš esu anglas bet mano panelle (=panelė) iš Lietuvos. Mes gyvaname (=gyvename) Anglijoje su mūsų (=savo) dukra, Natalia (=Natalija).

Thats about as good as it gets for now i'm afraid.. i have never been particularly academic and think i am learning as much about my own language whilst trying to unravel the complexities of lithuanian.

I'm afraid that if i don't learn lithuanian then the two women of my life will be able to talk about me and i will not know what they mean! So hows that for motivation?

I'm in the lucky position of having a full time teacher! but it would appear my fiancee knows more about english grammar than lithuanian! thats where you lovely people come in i hope..

iki,

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 04 03, 00:50 

labas, mano vardas yra jonas.

im 16 and im lithuanian but living in the states. i never learned to speak the language as a kid but my best friend mykolas speaks it around his house so when ever i go over there i get to eat lithuanian foods and listen to the language. i finally decided i was tired of not being able to understand what his parent and him were saying so i decided to try and learn the language.
after searching local adds and so on i had no luck with finding a teacher and then i came across this site.

im really excited and i hope i can learn quickly!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 04 04, 23:57 

Sveiki!

Mano vardas tYnka, man 22 metai, o gyvenu aš Vilniuje. Tačiau greitu laiku, jei viskas eisis kaip suplanuota, žadu porai metelių pabėgti į JAV, kur gyvena mano vyras. Šį puslapį, beje, ir radau būtent ieškodama medžiagos jam, kadangi jis jau pradeda mokytis lietuviškai. O šiaip ir pati visada buvau didelė lietuvių kalbos mylėtoja, tad su malonumu padėčiau visiems mūsų kalbos besimokantiems ;) Mane be galo traukia kalbos, tačiau negaliu pasigirti, kad esu poliglotė- laisvai kalbu tik angliškai, dar šiek tiek- rusiškai, ispaniškai ir mažumėlę- vokiškai. Pastaruoju metu teko imtis dar ir graikų kalbos, nes ji- mano vyro gimtoji. Bet, žinoma, lietuvių kalbą myliu labiausiai!

Hello!

My name is tYnka, i am 22 years old, and i live in Vilnius. But i am going to escape to USA for a couple years soon (if all will go as planned), as my husband lives there. By the way, i found this website searching for some material for him to learn lithuanian. However, as i have always been a big lover of Lithuanian language, i would be more than happy to help those who are learning it ;) Foreign languages have always attracted me a lot, though i can't call myself multilingual (poliglot-> ? is there such word for a person who knows many languages? ). I'm only fluent is english, and i can also speak some russian and spanish, and a little bit of german. Now i am starting to learn greek, as it's my husband's native language. But Lithuanian is the one i love most- for sure! ;)

(sorry for not a literal translation)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 04 09, 09:58 

Sveiki,

Aš esu vardu Vaidotas ir gyvenu Vilniuje. Šiuo metu mokausi prancūzų kalbos, bet užklydau čia ieškodamas lietuvių kalbos gramatikos:) Kadangi suprantu, kaip sunku yra mokytis naujos kalbos, stengsiuosi kiek nors padėti.

Hi,

My name is Vaidotas and I live in Vilnius. I am learning French now, but I stumbled upon this site when searching for lithuanian grammar:) I understand that it can be very frustrating to learn a new language, so I will try to help as much as I can.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 04 10, 06:01 

I've just found out I've never introduced myself here.

Labas visiems, mano vardas Rodrigas (Rodrigo ispaniškai). Man 18 metų. Gyvenu Argentinoje, La Platos mieste prie Buenos Aires'o (=Airių). Nusprendiau (=Nusprendžiau) mokytis lietuviškai prieš 5 mėnesis (=mėnesius), kada (-kai) vienas draugas vardu Nikolas prasidėjo (=pradėjo) žaisti žaidimą iš Lietuvos (=žaidimą Lietuvos) serveryje. Jis pamokėsi (=pasimokė; išmoko) žodžių, kaip "paro", "labas", "kiek" ir taip toliau. Tai aš man (=sau) pasakiau: jei jis gali, tai aš irgi galiu.
Kol laikas praeinojo (=Laikui einant; Po kurio laiko), aš įsimylėjau daugiau ir daugiau į kalbą (=aš vis labiau ir labiau įsimylėjau šią kalbą). Dabar ją myliu kaip jei butų tikrai lietuvis (=Dabar ją myliu kaip tikras lietuvis; Dabar ją myliu tarsi būčiau tikras lietuvis) (kuris kalbą myli :P).

Hello to everyone, my name is Rodrigo (Rodrigo in Spanish). I'm 18 years old. I live in Argentina, in La Plata city, next to Buenos Aires. I decided to study lithuanian 5 months ago, when one friend called Nicholas began playing a game on a server from Lithuania. He learnt some words, like "paro", "labas", "kiek" and so on. So I said to myself: if he can, I can too.
Time went on, and I fell more and more in love with the language. Now I love it like if I were a real lithuanian (who loves the langauge :P)

Hate to have to make sentences like those.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: JUST SAYING HI
PostPosted: 2007 04 21, 14:51 

Hi all i am 38 years old and i have only just started to learn lithuanian

Why?? well i am a manager of a carton company and we have a few lithuanian workers and i belive it nice to talk back in there own languge some times,
plus i have fallen smitten with one of the women her english is good so it not to bad talking to each other .

So thats why i am here as was searching for places to learn

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 04 23, 00:07 

labas

mano vardas yra anthony. I started learning Lithuanian a few weeks ago. My grandpa is an Lithuanian emigrant.

I began learning when my great-great uncle died, and my mom told me the mass would be in Lithuanian, so i thought i should get a start.

any help would be appreciated.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: 2007 04 25, 12:00 

Hi,

My name is Amir Elisha Aharoni. I was born in Moscow in 1980 and today i live in Israel.

I studied Lithuanian in the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

I know the grammar and the syntax pretty well. I also wrote a couple of term papers about Lithuanian grammar - one about the Illative case and the other about demonstrative pronouns. With a little help from a good dictionary i can read Lithuanian texts; i read Vincas Krėvė-Mickevičius, Icchokas Meras, Vincas Kudirka and others.

Despite all that i can't really speak or write so well myself and my vocabulary is not that big. I use a dictionary most of the time - mostly Antanas Lyberis' Lithuanian-Russian. Maybe i should live in Lithuanian countryside for a few months :)

Currently my most interesting Lithuanian-related activity is writing software to process the Lithuanian language. Stay tuned - i may ask you interesting questions about it ...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 05 15, 18:32 

Hi!
Now I have to make a choice: either to stick to the good old 'I am X from Y' or then prove that I have individuality and imagination and start with something completely different...

I am Jouko from Finland (in Lithuania you would add a 's' to my name :) ).
My first visit to Lithuania was in 1985 and since then I guess additional 12 times. Lithuanian language has been of interest to me for a long time, perhaps for the multitude of loaned words to Finnish (for example laivas=laiva=ship, kirvis=kirves=axe, tiltas=silta=bridge) or surprising grammatical similarities even if the languages are not related in any way.
Lithuanian (like Finnish) has more faithfully than most languages been preserving its original forms and hasn't easily given in to outside pressures, a true treasure chest to curious linguists. Also Finnish and Estonian make a language pair like Lithuanian and Latvian so at least in my mind Finland is the fourth Baltic state.

But: even if I have tried to start studying Lithuanian many times and have bought new dictionaries or grammars on half of my visits to Lithuania, my advances in Lithuanian have been very slim indeed. You have a tough language and you speak fast (trying to compete with the Spanish, eh?) It even took me a surprisingly long time to make it understood that I wasn't sneezing but trying to say thanks. :o

Well, I hope to be troublesome to the other forum members at least in the pronunciation section. Perhaps I also try to torture you by asking for a vacant lot for a collection of certain/suspected mutual words in Lithuanian and Finnish (you would be absolutely allowed not to read it :roll: ).

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 05 15, 23:00 

Hello, my name is Jocelin, I am French.

I met a Lithuanian on a game in internet :D and he became my friend. Then he talked me about his language, he told me that it is an old language close to sanskrit and that's why I am interrested in learning lithuanian. I speak french of course, and I also learned english, spanish and latin at school. :wink:

I want remark something, in lessons there are explainations about the differences between english and lithuanian, sometimes it is right for french too, but sometimes it makes me laugh :lol: because there is not difference with french, for example all things are masculine or feminine.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: kitasairis
PostPosted: 2007 07 01, 16:14 

Sveiki ir labai malonu.

Dėkoju Debesėliui už jūsų pagalbą (=už pagalbą) iki šio laiko (-iki šiol). Nesu gabiam (=gabus) kalboms ir mano nuomene (=nuomone) lietuvių kalba yra ypač sunki (esu gimęs 1958 m.); bet turiu žodynus ir Debesėlis yra labai naudingas.

Banke dirbu Dubline (-Dirbu banke, Dubline; Dirbu Dubline, banke). Keletas lietuvių dirba (-šiame) pastate. Vienas jų man pasakė truputį istorijos tragiškos (=tragiškos istorijos) jūsų brangios tėvynės ir jos drąsių piliečių.

Airijoje, daugybė mūsų nieko apie Lietuvą nežinome; kaip gaila, nes airiai ir lietuviai tiek daug bendrai (=bendra; bendro) turi! Aš norėčiau truputį daugiau apie lietuvius ir jų kultūrą mokytis (-pasimokyti).

Pagarbiai. Paulius.

How do you do.

Thank you, Debeselis, for your help up to now. I am no good at languages and I find Lithuanian awfully difficult (I was born in 1958); but I have dictionaries and find Cloudlet very useful.

I work in a bank in Dublin. Some Lithuanians work in the building. One of them told me a little of the tragic history of your precious country and its brave people.

In Ireland, many of us know nothing about Lithuania, which is a shame because the Irish and Lithuanians have so much in common! I should like to learn a little more about Lithuanians and their culture.

Regards, Paul.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2007 07 03, 21:34 

Sveiki!

I helped few people with Lithuanian some time ago and it was extremely great to support them in the language-approaching process, and also much fun. It seems I miss it.
If someone needs a Lithuanian teacher (me :roll: ) to check exercises, essays, etc. or to help from the very beginning, just PM me.
By the way, I have all material needed (books, excersise, texts,...).
{As I learn Swedish, Swedish-Lithuanian exchange would be great; but other languages are also warmly welcome :wink: }

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Moderators: crankshaft, asCii Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next