It is currently 2017 12 14, 11:56

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: How long does it take to learn Lithuanian?
PostPosted: 2013 01 11, 12:27 

I know it's not actually a subject to be posted on the Grammar section. But it is the only one I found better for that.
My question is, how long does it take in average to learn Lithuanian? Taking into account the grammar, paradigms of accent, etc...
If anyone wants to share his experience on that, please, feel free to do it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2013 01 13, 19:29 

Well, I moved it the Community section, which is the best for this topic.
Well, in my experience it depends very much on the time you spend every day learning and using it. It's the same than it is with everything you want to master. I used to talk lithuanian everyday as much as a I could. It took me myself maybe over half a year to be able to maintain a regular text conversation on the internet, using declension tables and a dictionary. I think it took me around two years to do the same without help, maybe a little less than that. But of course, always simple conversations, on known topics. Nothing way too complicated. In three years I knew almost every grammatical aspect of the language by heart. What I lacked the most was word colocation. I wasn't sure what verb to use to express something related to certain noun, which I knew was not supposed to be translated word by word.
So on my third year I arrived to Vilnius and took a two semester Lithuanian course at Vilnius University. The first they we had a level test. As it was multiple choice I had almost no problem completing it (except for "berniuko buta___ gero" I think) and ended up on the highest class. After that year I graspped every concept regarding verb aspect, and so on that is simply explained but dificult to unconsciously feel.
My vocabulary is still improving (or worsening) and will always be. But I can say it took me at least four years.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2013 01 14, 18:39 

Thanks for moving my post. It's better on the Community section.
Also, thanks for sharing your experience. It's no easy job, as I see.
I know it's not exactly the place to post this question, but taking advantage, is there any pattern for pronunciation?
Maybe the penultimate syllable is generally the stressed one?

Last edited by Brunojp on 2014 10 03, 09:09, edited 4 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2013 01 14, 19:24 

There are no stressing patterns that you could learn without way too much effort for a beginner. The only regular thing is that verbs on the infinitive are never accentuated on the last syllable (ti) and that verbs with the prefix per- have their accent always there.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2016 09 25, 19:38 

Started last september with Leonardas Dambriunas Beginner's Lithuanian, ikindalikelanguages and was a mentor of two lithuanian erasmus students. Spent the next semester (february-july) studying in Kaunas and made an effort to make friends with the locals rather than other erasmus. Now I'm a mentor again back in Spain. I'd say I'm reaching B2 I can communicate in any way and understand and get myself understood almost always, but I still haven't learned a lot of the vocabulary that comes up less often.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: How long does it take to learn Lithuanian?
PostPosted: 2017 02 09, 15:55 

I think it's depend on your mentality

Offline Profile