It is currently 2018 10 22, 10:13

All times are UTC + 2 hours

Post subject: Obtaining the lithuanian accent
PostPosted: 2006 10 21, 16:48 

I am currently trying to learn to speak lithuanian. Both of my parents and several peers of mine speak it fluently. Apparently, my pronunciation is quite terrible. My mother says i need to speak more "roundly" and less "angular". She is at a loss as to what this exactly means, and i find it difficult to emulate "roundness" in speaking. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on obtaining the lithuanian accent...Should i just study the alphabet extensivley, or is it something you just acquire with time?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2006 10 23, 11:46 

Try to pronounce Lithuanian softly - it should sound as a song ;)
Uff... It is hard to advice something to you as I am a native-speaker. Maybe others who learn Lithuanian could help you?

P.S. Could I ask what's you mother language?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2006 10 23, 20:30 

Obtaining a new accent could take a while to gain. Since you have developed the accent you have now since you started talking. It is hard, yet not impossible, to say whether it could even happen unless you went and lived in Lithuania. But obviously, it does help to be surrounded by those who have a Lithuanian accent, as well, regardless. As debeselis has said, Lithuanians do tend to speak softer than say those who live in America, who speak English. It would also have much to do with stresses on certain letters, as well, in words that you as an English speaker may not fully have a handle on.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2006 10 24, 11:18 

Also I'd like to offer you to listen radio/TV [and other sources you will find useful] in Lithuanian but not only listen - try to pronounce it. Firstly, don't say all exactly - just catch the melody of the language :wink:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2006 10 25, 04:20 

my father, mother and grandparents all speak lithuanian with "correct" accents, yet only my grandparents were born in lithuania.

i try to listen to lithuanian radio as much as i can, but there is only 1 online radio station that ive found and it has terrible quality. I think it does help me hear "good" pronunciation though.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2006 10 25, 08:04 
Site Admin

Vaicaiti: http://www.debeselis.net/links.php

I'm not sure what is mean by 'angular' and 'round', but I noticed that English speakers stress many words in a sentence. For example, here's how an English speaker would stress this sentence:

I wanted to tell you something...

Whereas a Lithuanian would say:

Norėjau tau kai ką pasakyti...

You see? A Lithuanian emphasizes only one word in a sentence, while for the English it would not be enough. Try noticing this in your (grand)parents' speech.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2006 10 27, 02:53 

Ah, i never noticed that before. That is very interesting, thank you for pointing that out.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2006 10 29, 15:04 

I notice the 'roundedness' in Lithuanian speakers.

I can try to explain it, but I dunno whether you'll be able to understand. In a similar way to Russian, Lithuanians slightly labialise some diphthongs (e.g. 'ai' can often sound like they're saying 'oi' or 'ui'). In a similar way, some English speakers labialise their 'r', 'sh', 'ch' (etc) making them sound 'rounder'. On top of this, Lithuanian rounded vowels (o, u) are a lot more rounded than English o and u are. I barely even move my lips when saying "suit", for example, but if I said a word in Lithuanian with rounded vowels in, my lips would move a lot

It's all about the position of the lips.... and the tongue.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 2006 10 29, 15:08 
Site Admin

One more important difference is the aspiration of consonants. All the English accents especially aspirate their T's and D's, making them sound very energetic.

I read somewhere that in the English word TOP the T is aspirated, but in STOP the T is not. So try seeing the difference.

Offline Profile